There are a variety of ways to prevent overdrafts if there are not sufficient funds in your checking account:
- Set up transfers from a savings account. Westerra's standard practice is to link your checking account to your share/savings account to automatically transfer funds as needed. If you would like to link a Money Market Account or other savings account to your checking account, please inquire at any branch or call us at 303-321-4209. Learn about transfer limits.
- Use an overdraft line of credit for quick and easy access to funds. This fee-based product is available to cover the occasional overdrawing of your account up to a maximum of $1,500. Fees are based upon the amount advanced. Inquire at any branch or call us at 303-321-4209.
- Transfer funds from a personal line of credit as you need it. Apply online, inquire at any branch or call us at 303-321-4209.
- Through Courtesy Pay—Once the options above have been depleted, instead of returning an item unpaid to the merchant because of insufficient funds, the credit union may pay your item, for a fee, which will save you additional charges from the merchant. As a standard practice, Westerra offers Courtesy Pay for covering checks and automated payment (ACH) transactions when funds are not available. You can choose Courtesy Pay for debit card transactions, too.
- For Debit Card Transactions—All Westerra checking accounts are set up so that if there are not funds in your checking account (or savings or overdraft line of credit) to cover a transaction, the transaction will simply be denied without a fee. If you would like Westerra to cover these transactions, for a fee, opt-in to Courtesy Pay.
Use these tools to monitor your accounts and avoid fees:
- Set Alerts in Online Banking to let you know if your account reaches a certain high or low balance or if transactions over a certain amount take place on your account. Online Banking is free for all members.
- Download the free CardNav App to receive real-time notifications on your phone every time a transaction is made on your account. You can set spending limits, approved merchant locations and types of transactions—and you can turn your cards on or off instantly.
- Use the free Westerra Mobile Banking App to quickly and easily check your balances.
- Record all your automated transactions, bill payments, online banking transfers, checks, debit card transactions, ATM withdrawals and other payments. Ask for a check register at any branch. Be sure you are tracking your actual balance, not just your available balance. Learn more.