Making a Difference In Our Community
At Westerra, it is important to us to make a difference in the lives of the individuals and families who use our credit union—and the communities we share. We do this by focusing staff time, online resources, financial support and volunteer efforts to support initiatives important to our school districts, our sponsor organizations and the communities where our branches are located.
- Volunteerism - Westerra employees volunteer on boards and committees, support community initiatives, coach sports teams, volunteer at their local school, and work to make a difference in their communities.
- Financial Literacy – Consumer education articles are available on the Westerra website to help students of all ages learn money management skills. Westerra employees make presentations in classrooms, provide one-on-one financial assistance and offer the Foolproof online financial literacy program for students, parents and teachers.
- School Grants – Our School Grant Program helps teachers and schools by providing funds to support programs which might not otherwise be possible. Grant funds help purchase items deemed most important by the school, such as art supplies, sports fees and equipment, workbooks and materials for after school programs.
- Fundraising For School Sports, Activities and Organizations – Westerra's Fundraising Program enables schools, activities and organizations to raise money by referring students, friends and family to Westerra. Westerra donates $52.80 to the fundraising group for every qualifying account or service opened. Students can learn smart money management skills, without any fees, through their school district credit union—and school-branded debit cards help build school spirit!
- Community Outreach – We also sponsor events and activities important to our sponsor groups, our employees, our members, our business partners and the communities near our branches. Similar to our school fundraising program, Westerra can assist nonprofit organizations in raising funds for their cause. Nonprofits receive $52.80 for every new member they refer who opens an account.
- Special Olympics Colorado Sponsorship – At Westerra, we believe more can be accomplished by working together—and our partnership with Special Olympics Colorado provides many opportunities for us to make a difference through community, youth and educational initiatives, including helping to expand Special Olympics unified sports into more schools.
- Business Community – As a member of our local Chambers of Commerce and Better Business Bureau, Westerra works in partnership with other business leaders in actively supporting our Denver Metro, West Metro, Aurora, Castle Rock, Parker and Hispanic Chamber communities.
- Credit Union Industry – Westerra participates in cooperative events with the Mountain West Credit Union Association, Credit Union National Association, and their foundations.
Working together, we can make a difference for our members, their families and our community. Thank you for the opportunity.