In 1951, the Safeway Denver Employees Federal Credit Union was founded by employees in the Denver Division of Safeway Stores, Inc.to provide employees a place to save and borrow at fair and reasonable rates. Its purpose was to put the members first when offering financial services and treat them as valued owners.
For the first four years, it was run by part-time managers. In 1955, the credit union was given a small office in the Safeway Stores administrative office building. In 1974, the credit union moved into a new building at Jasmine and Evans streets in Denver. As its growth continued, the credit union moved in 1992 to a larger building on Parker Road, and then in 2000 to an even larger facility on Arapahoe Road.
With a vision of enhancing service for all Safeway employees and families, the Boards of Directors of Safeway Rocky Mountain Federal Credit Union and DPS Credit Union both unanimously approved a merger of the credit unions in 2005 to offer members more branches, enhanced technology and expanded products and services. The combined credit unions chose Westerra as their new name, to better reflect their diverse and growing members.
Today, Westerra Credit Union remains focused on that same original mission and purpose--to provide members a safe place to save and borrow at fair and reasonable rates. Westerra has earned a reputation as a trusted resource and a valued partner. Members know they can count on their credit union for competitive rates, quality products, solid expertise, and top-notch service.
All employees and families of Safeway Denver Division can join Westerra.
Learn more about our credit unions' origins and history.