Mobile Banking: Getting Started and FAQs
What is Westerra Mobile Banking?
Westerra Mobile Banking allows you to manage your account from your mobile device. With Westerra Mobile Banking, you can:
- View account balances
- Review transaction history
- Transfer funds between accounts
- Pay bills you have set up in Bill Pay
- Search for Westerra branches and Free ATMs near you
- Receive mobile alerts via text message*
- Deposit checks from your smartphone using Mobile Check Deposit
- Pay people directly from your smartphone using Popmoney....and more!
Mobile Banking provides three ways to access your accounts:
1) Download the Mobile Banking application to your phone.
2) Receive SMS text alerts on your mobile phone.
3) Use WAP (mobile website) through your mobile browser.
What devices can Westerra Mobile Banking be used with?
The mobile banking application is available for iPhone, Android and iPad. Other tablet applications will be available in the near future.
PLEASE NOTE: You can only register one Westerra account per smartphone device. You can log in to multiple Westerra accounts through the iPad app.
Is Mobile Banking Secure?
Westerra Credit Union is committed to protecting the safety and privacy of your information. To ensure the security of your account information, a number of security features have been built into Westerra Mobile Banking.
Registration Process: The unique activation code required to verify your mobile phone number. This code associates your mobile phone number with your account. In addition to the security measures, the verification lets you know your mobile phone number was successfully entered into the system.
No Identifiable Information: A mobile banking keyword text message or alert message will not return any personally identifiable information such as your full account number, PIN, email address, or personal address. Your user ID and password will never be included or asked for in any of the text messages that you receive from or send to Westerra Credit Union.
How can I start using Westerra Mobile Banking?
How To Install the Mobile Banking App:
- You must be enrolled in Westerra Online Banking to use the app. If you are not enrolled in Online Banking, click here to enroll.
- On your mobile device, open the App Store (Apple) or Google Play (Android) and search for Westerra Credit Union and download the App.
- Launch the app and enter your Westerra Online Banking Username and Password.
How to start using Text Messaging and Alerts:
- Log in to your Westerra Online Banking Account
- Click on the Mobile link in the upper right hand corner, then click Add New Device
- Under Other Services, select Text Messaging and click Continue
- Select your time zone, the accounts you would like to enroll in Text Messaging and create nicknames for your accounts (optional). Click Continue. Enter your mobile telephone number and click Continue
- Enter the code sent to your mobile telephone number and click Continue
- You will be informed if your activation was successful and you will receive text messages with short codes and texting commands.
- Text the following short codes to 39872 to get your account information:
BAL - Get balances for enrolled accounts
HIST + ACCOUNT (SHARE) NAME - Get recent transactions
MORE or NEXT - Use after a HIST command for more transactions
HELP - Provides a list of text commands
STOP - Unsubscribe from text banking
Click here to learn more about Text Message alerts. If you have questions about the capabilities of your mobile phone, please contact your mobile carrier for more information.
Are there fees to use mobile banking?
There are no fees to use or access Mobile Banking.
You should contact your mobile provider for information about fees associated with sending or receiving text messages or accessing the internet from your mobile phone.
What accounts are eligible for mobile banking?
All accounts that are accessible through Westerra Online Banking are eligible for use with Westerra Mobile Banking. You may choose which accounts to use with Mobile Banking when registering your mobile phone through the Self Service tab within Online Banking.
Do I have to choose between SMS messaging and WAP?
During the registration process you may choose any or all of the Mobile Banking options available for your mobile phone.
Can I add more than one mobile phone?
Additional mobile phones may be added for use with Mobile Banking by accessing the My Devices tab on the Mobile Setup Menu and clicking Add Device.
Please note that you can only assign one member account number for access per mobile device.
What do you mean when you say standard messaging charges may apply?
Every mobile carrier has a different rate plan for text messaging and data services access. You may be charged per use, or pay a flat rate for unlimited usage each month. You may also have different fees for text messaging and data services access.
Please contact your mobile carrier directly if you aren’t sure what fees you will be charged to use mobile banking, as the credit union has no access to information regarding your personal mobile service billing.
What are account nicknames?
Account nicknames are abbreviated account names that protect your account information and are requested for each account. You can create your own unique account nickname or use the default nickname shown in the Mobile Banking Nickname column on the My Accounts tab on the Mobile Setup Menu. (Go to the Self Service tab within Online Banking and click on the Sign Up/Manage My Mobile Money link.Your mobile account nicknames will not replace the account names or nicknames defined in Online Banking.)
I received my activation code but never used it. What do I do now?
Your activation code is only good for a short amount of time, and must be entered into Online Banking and the site may time out if the code is not entered in time. You’ll need to access the “My Phones” tab within the Mobile Banking Setup (within Online Banking, click on the "Self Service" tab and then click on the “Sign Up/Manage My Mobile Money” link.) Simply select “Get a new activation code” for the phone on which you wish to receive a new link if you did not enter the code in time.
What is the difference between the Alerts Service and the SMS Service?
Alerts Service is an automatic notice sent by your credit union to your mobile device containing information about your registered account(s). You define which alerts you want to see and when you want to be notified.
SMS Service allows you to request account balance and history information on selected accounts at any time from your mobile device. Your information will be returned directly to your mobile device.
Note: If you register your phone to receive Alert texts, you automatically have access to SMS Services.
What if I change my mobile phone number?
If your mobile phone number changes, you must log in to Westerra Online Banking and update the phone number within the Self Service tab, within the Sign-Up/Manage My Mobile Money link on the My Phones tab. Simply select the Change my Phone Number option from the I want to drop-down menu.
What if my mobile phone is lost or stolen?
Westerra Credit Union will never send full account numbers or other personal information via mobile banking. If your mobile phone is lost or stolen, no one can access your account without knowing your unique login ID and password. In the unfortunate event your mobile phone is either lost or stolen, report it immediately to your mobile carrier. Then you should immediately log in to Westerra Online Banking from your computer and remove the mobile phone number from the Mobile Setup Main Menu. From Online Banking, go to the Self Service tab and click on Sign Up/Manage My Mobile Money. Alternately, you can contact the credit union and request that the mobile number be removed from mobile banking access.
How do I change my Mobile Banking account settings?
Mobile Banking account settings can be changed from your personal computer on the Mobile Setup Main Menu, accessed by clicking on the “Self Service” tab within Online Banking. Click on the “Sign Up/Manage My Mobile Money" link. You can add or remove account types, change account nicknames, and update your mobile phone number.
Why is my Samsung device showing as "not compatible"?
We apologize for this error that has occured with the most recent update to our Mobile Banking App. We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve the issue. In the interim, please try the methods below to correct the problem on your device:
1. Go to Settings
2. Click Display
3. Set Resolution to FHD or WQHD. Click Apply.
4. Settings > Apps > App Manager
5. Select Google Play Store
6. Click Storage
7. Click Clear Cache, then click Clear Data
8. Reboot the device
9. Once rebooted, go to into the Google Play store to search and download or update the application.
Option 2 (if option 1 does not fix the issue):
1. Go to Settings
2. Settings > Apps > App Manager
3. Select Google Play Store
4. Click Storage
5. Click Clear Cache, then click Clear Data
6. Reboot the device
7. Once rebooted, go to into the Google Play store to search and download or update the application.